The little island of Thirassia has a population of only 200 or so, making it the perfect spot for a relaxing lunch at a cliff-top taverna, with views over to Santorini. The island used to be part of Santorini’s mainland, until the violent volcanic eruption of 1650 BC set it free.
Sail over from Santorini to escape the crowds on Thirassia’s lovely beaches, and bring a traveler’s dictionary as not many people here speak English. Those tavernas are clustered in the village of Manolas, near the ferry stop, and the tranquil island also has scattered blue-domed churches, ancient monasteries and stone villages
The island of Thirassia lies west of Santorini, across the caldera on the other side of Nea Kameni. Some ferries run to Thirassia’s ports of Riva and Korfos from Athinios on Santorini’s central west coast, and from Ammoudi on its northern tip. As ferry schedules are unreliable, most visitors come via excursion boat, sailing via Nea Kameni along the way.