This gorgeous Baroque-style church features a soft, buttery yellow exterior complimented by white trim. Originally a male monastery, La Merced was originally built in 1548. Later, in 1749, Juan de Dios began work on building today's church, finishing the project in 1767.
The exterior of the intricately designed church features sculptures and paintings, such as the well-known Jesus Nazareno. Inside, ruins of the monastery can be found, including the Fuente de Pescados, or Fountain of the Fish. During Holy Week, the church is the start of the procession.
The church is located just north of Plaza Mayor. Well worth a look are the ruins of the monastery, which are located on the side of the church and feature a gorgeous pond and courtyard. Head up to the top of the convent for views of the area.